Sunday, January 13, 2013

Sunday home from Chehaw

The children & I arrived home late last night from Chehaw & Joe got home this afternoon.
I wish I had pictures to share how incredible it was - a little mixup with our
camera & all the picture I took are on my Dad's camera.

We had a easy sunny Sunday at home (nearly 80 here today) - harvesting so much from the garden - lettuce, snow peas, broccoli, beets, turnips, & mustard greens

Lovey & I ventured out this morning to find Levi busy alone in the pea patch. He picked 1.5 pounds - our biggest snow pea haul off these vines.  



a staple in our diet right now - popcorn sans butter with just a little salt
one cup will make extra to keep for snacking

once the main head is cut there continues to be side shoots to cut from the broccoli 

I cut these from the garden as I'd like to use them in the
house - a quick rinse inside & this shoot is ready as is

I've come to a reality as I create goals for the coming year:  I am not producing enough extra garden items to sell thru the Tallahassee online farmers market.  I kept thinking I would get there as I flushed out garden beds & got more efficient with growing large numbers of seedlings.  But an evening of crunching numbers shows me any profits would be marginal especially with the (2 hour) 70-mile-round-trip to downtown Tallahassee.

So instead, I'm refocusing on: trying to grow all that we can eat & really making an effort to make meals with what we have.  There's an economical incentive to that as well.  Plus all the other benefits of eating fresh from the backyard.  I'm charting our eating habits to see what percentage of the food we eat we are producing.  It's thrilling to see multiple meals a week in which every item is ours.

2 meals worth of broccoli


unwashed beets
Have I told you of my new love affair with beets!?


a beautiful gift of hand dipped beeswax candles from Chehaw

he wanted to sort them into groups by size


the fat daddies

bringing in a mess'a greens

No comments: