Friday, March 2, 2012

Golden Brothers & a little number crunching

In this new 'farm building' phase of our lives, a local store we love to stop by is Golden Brothers Feed & Seed in Thomasville, Ga.  It's a Mom & Pop place (literally the same couple is always behind the counter) with great customer service & everything we could possibly need and more.  This week it's:  more seed potatoes, chicken starter feed, bone meal, wheat straw, carrot seeds, and cottonsead meal.


The one thing that makes it really stand out to me is the bulk bins.  I love the concept that no matter how much you buy, you still get the same price per unit.


So this is the number crunching I love... today I paid 50 cents for a 1/4 ounce of carrot seeds at Golden Brothers (in bulk).  The delight in this is:  in all my seed catalogs, for the same amount, I would have paid $15.


Potatoes.  We've paid a total of $6.25 for seed potatoes.  If the resulting 80 plants make even a pound each, we'll be paying about 8 cents a pound for organic potatoes!  

1 comment:

JC said...

I wish I had it in me to be half the gardener you are. You truly amaze me!